On my blog, Ex Urbe, I write essays about history, philosophy, mythology, science fiction and fantasy, movies, comics, food, and other topics. I often discuss my research travel, especially my times in European cities including Florence and Rome. I also post travel photography, focusing on historic sights and art. Many of my essays are more casual examinations of topics I have been teaching or researching, ways of sharing my work in a lighter and more public setting than the classroom or academic books.
Recommended Ex Urbe Entries:
- On Progress and Historical Change
- Machiavelli Series: S.P.Q.F.
- The Shape of Rome
- “The Borgias” vs. “Borgia: Faith and Fear” TV series double review (accuracy in historical fiction)
- “Spot the Saint” Series
- Sketches of a History of Skepticism
- How to Spot Good Gelato from 15 Feet Away (see also my Gelato Atlas)
- Marvel Movies Loki “Unbiased Review” Series
I also sometimes blog for Tor.com. There I write about fiction, the craft of writing, mythology, history, literature, television, and manga & anime.