On my blog, Ex Urbe, I write and post essays about history, philosophy, mythology, science fiction and fantasy, movies, comics, food, and many other topics. I often discuss my research trips, especially my times in European cities including Florence and Rome. I also post my travel photography, focusing on historic sights and art. I post rarely, once or twice a month, but the entries are usually very long. Many of are popular, casual versions of topics I have been teaching or researching, ways of sharing my work in a lighter and more public setting than the classroom or academic books.
- Machiavelli Series: S.P.Q.F.
- The Shape of Rome
- “The Borgias” vs. “Borgia: Faith and Fear” TV series double review (accuracy in historical fiction)
- “Spot the Saint” Series
- Marvel Movies Loki “Unbiased Review” Series
- Sketches of a History of Skepticism
- How to Spot Good Gelato from 15 Feet Away (see also my Gelato Atlas)
In 2014 I started blogging for Tor.com as well. There I write about books, writing, mythology, history, and manga & anime.